We are going to have some recipe fun this week where we will be sharing 5 recipes (one each day) that in the end could be a super yummy 5-course summer meal and guaranteed to please all pallets 🙂 We love these recipes and some are our unique recipes and some are sharing some from our friends that we have adopted and make and love!
With that, the first one is a 6-Layer Salad. This one is really, really, yummy and very easy to make, serve and even take to events. Linda from our church has shared this with us after a few times of indulging in this salad goodness at potlucks!
It is 6-layers and only 7 ingredients!
Here’s the ingredients:
- 1 head of lettuce cut to shreds
- 1 16oz. package of Frozen Peas
- 1 Tbs. Sugar
- 1 cup mayo
- 16 oz. container cottage cheese
- 2 Cups of Shredded Cheese
- 1 12 or 16 oz package of Bacon cooked and crumbled
How to make:
- Cook bacon and crumble. I have to be honest and tell you we rarely have bacon for three reasons: 1. I don’t like pork and since I am the cook, I decide what gets cooked and eaten, 2. If I were to eat any pork, it would be bacon occasionally already, but since I HATE cooking bacon, then it is even less often, 3. It is expensive! But we recently shared how to get FREE natural and nitrate free bacon, so especially if you got this, I would recommend it for this salad 🙂 However, I have a trick to cooking bacon that works well for crumbles for recipes, dishes and casseroles. I take the strips uncooked and stack them and cut into about .5″ – 1″ pieces and place in a big stock pot! I then cook them on medium for a long time until much of the fat cooks off and they are crispy! Then drain and cool on paper towels. I like cooking it this way to prevent grease from going all over my kitchen and easier clean-up!
- Then cut the lettuce into shreds and place as the bottom layer in a 9×13 pan
- Then add the layer of frozen peas
- Sprinkle the sugar on the peas layer
- Then mix the 1 cup mayo mixed with the 1 16oz. container of cottage cheese and add this layer on top of the lettuce, peas and sugar
- The add the layer of 2-cups of shredded cheese
- Finally add the cooled crumbled bacon on top
- Then Wha La! A super yummy 6-layer salad!
- Then just scoop and serve!
This is what is looks like in the end!
source: Thrifty couple.com