Most clothes are designed for tall, slender figures.Petite girls often get a little chance to be creative with the wardrobe. Nevertheless, petite with right pieces of clothes and accessories on can actually stand out. It’s all about creating MORE height and LESS bulk. Here are some tips to help you find clothes that will fit and flatter your petite figure.
- Stick with V-Neck and Scoop neckline blouses. These necklines create an illusion of longer body.
- Wear pieces with vertical lines. This is a no-brainer. We all know that vertical lines give the wearer a taller look and a bonus slimming effect.
- Make sure that the sleeves lies perfectly on your shoulder. Droopy shoulders make you look awkward.
- Choose tops that fit your body perfectly. Too tight and too baggy can both emphasize your small figure.
- Wear tops that lie a little over the waistband of your skirt or pants to give an illusion of longer torso.
- Choose three-quarter sleeves as they show the best part of your arms.
- Avoid tucking-in your shirt or blouse because it tends to cut you in the middle and reveal your short features.
- Stick with Monochrome. As much as possible, match the color of your tops to your pants/short/skirt and shoes. Dressing in the same color from head to toe can make you look tall.
- If you do choose contrasting colors, add a scarf or other accessory that has the same color as your lower clothing.
- Wear wrap dresses and shirt dresses with a tapered waistline to add definition to your figure.
- Choose knee length dresses because they give the effect of longer legs. If the length is too long or too short, your legs will appear shorter.
- Find a dress that has a lightweight fabric that drape such as cotton, silk and chiffon. Stay away from bulky ones.
- Avoid loose fitting dresses. Choose something that hugs your figure well.
- Look for wrap dresses and shirt dress with a tapered waist line add definition to your figure.
- Again, vertical stripes will make you look taller.
- If ever you want prints on your dress, choose prints that are not too large.
- Wear tights, boots and shoes that match the color of your dress.
- Wear straight leg trousers and stay away from flared if you want to appear taller.
- Match your top and bottom colors for a longer look.
- Avoid wide leg pants because it gives wider but shorter effect.
- Stay away from cropped or Capri trousers because they chop you at the calf (or the ankle in some cases) and make you appear shorter.
- Choose pants that sit on your natural waistline or higher to add the illusion of longer legs. Hip style trousers and jeans will make you appear shorter.
- Choose cropped jackets that rest on your waistline or hips to flatter your petite figure
- Wear jackets that fit you perfectly well. Loose jackets make you look short and square.
- Avoid cover-ups with too much detail like buttons, piping and large patterns.
- Choose nude colored high-heels for they create an illusion of longer legs
- Stay away with shoes that look clunky and with too much details for they give your appearance a heavy look.
- Avoid ankle-strap shoes or short boots as they break the leg line, making them appear shorter.
- Wear pointed toe shoes because they look best with petites.
- Find shoes that show more of your foot to create a longer line visually elongating your legs.
- Opt for a thinner belt. Wide, bulky belts tend to cut the length of your body.
- Wear belts with color that matches your outfit. Avoid belts that contrasts with the color of your outfit.
- Avoid belts that has too much details. You want to maintain a clean, simple line.
- Wear an accessory, such as a scarf or brooch, on the high parts of your body to draw the eye upwards. A great pair of earring will also do this.
- Avoid bags that are too big for your figure.
- Again, match the colors of your tights to your clothes & shoes to “stretch” your leg length.
- Avoid bulky jewellery as this can overpower your outfit.
Remember that when it comes to petite style, creating illusions is essential. Don’t be afraid to create your own style but keep in mind the things that can make or break your over-all look.
- Just take a look at Ashley Olsen who stands at 5’1. Indeed, petite is cute!
Source: Crafts and Vogue